Macon Bibb Citizen Advocacy takes its roots from the principles of strong community stewardship. In that spirit, MBCA strives to foster the kinds of relationships that not only benefit advocates and protégés but also the Macon community as a whole.
- Advocate independence and loyalty to the person with the disability
- Citizen advocacy organization is independent of service providing agencies
- Promote positive and dignified images of people with disabilities to counter general negative impressions
- Ensure clarity of staff functions so that staff do not take the place of voluntary advocates
- Promote local ownership so that citizen advocacy will be rooted in the community, while observing community values and norms and being long lasting
- Balance advocacy roles so that a wide variety of people will be able to participate